Chantilly Baptist Church and Cemetery

Dublin Core

Title

Chantilly Baptist Church and Cemetery

Date

1880 - present

Description

The church was founded in 1880 by Revered Marshall D. Williams of Prince William with a service held in a “little log schoolhouse.” The first trustees appointed were William H. Newman, Abeham Edwards, John Monroe, Levi Harris, Benjamin Bias, John Coates, and Washington Jones. They met in the school building until 1889 when they began to worship in a new wooden church. In 1900 the trustees bought an additional acre of land for a cemetery. The church expanded into a new brick building in 1955 and the1887 structure was eventually demolished to accommodate the expansion of Lee Jackson Highway.

Source

Chantilly Baptist Church Cemetery. Accessed via Fairfax Genealogical Society website
Chantilly Baptist Church History. Accessed via Chantilly Baptist Church website

Building Item Type Metadata

Location

14312 Chantilly Baptist Ln, Chantilly, VA 20151

District

Sully

Additional Notes

A cemetery is also on the grounds

Photo Credit

Courtesy of Maddy McCoy, Slavery Inventory Database, LLC

Files

chanilly baptist.png

Collection

Citation

“Chantilly Baptist Church and Cemetery,” Fairfax County African American History Inventory, accessed May 19, 2024, https://fairfaxaahi.centerformasonslegacies.com/items/show/162.

Geolocation