Browse Items (37 total)

The Freedom House Museum was once part of the headquarters for the largest domestic slave-trading firm in the United States, Franklin and Armfield. Through first-person accounts of enslaved men and women and details from the business, encounter the…

First Mount calvary near the courthous.jpg
The church congregation traces its history to the African American men and women who settled near the Fairfax Courthouse. The recently emancipated enslaved formed an organization to raise funds to build a church. Land was purchased from the estate of…

Ash grove kitchen outbuilding.jpg
Eighteenth Century Plantation Outbuilding Kitchen & Quarters .

Ash Grove House, dating to circa 1790, was built by Thomas Fairfax on land that had been acquired by the Fairfax family in 1740. The small brick structure, identified as an…

chanilly baptist.png
The church was founded in 1880 by Revered Marshall D. Williams of Prince William with a service held in a “little log schoolhouse.” The first trustees appointed were William H. Newman, Abeham Edwards, John Monroe, Levi Harris, Benjamin Bias, John…

Cub run church.jpg
Cub Run Primitive Church was a spiritual center of the Bull Run community, founded by African Americans descended from enslaved people manumitted by Robert Carter’s Deed of Gift. The present building was built on land donated by Anthony Harris in the…

Cub-Run-School-1942.jpg
Around 1887, a one-room schoolhouse for African American children was constructed near Cub Run and was called the Cub Run School. The one-room Cub Run School was deemed inadequate for the growing population in 1928. Land was acquired from the…

Education was a priority in Black communities after Emancipation. Before the Civil War, it was illegal for African Americans, whether enslaved or free, to gather to learn to read and study.

The Rock Hill school was established in early 1868 by…

Roots of the group date to December 15, 1875. In 1946 a group of Masons moved away from their home lodges and formed a lodge at the First Baptist Church. Leaders of the movement were Charles R. Dale, the Rev. Wallace E. Costner, and the Rev. Columbus…

School-Luther Jackson High School August 18 1954.jpg
Opened in 1954, it was the first and only high school in Fairfax County created to serve the African American community. Luther Porter Jackson was a prominent historian, educator, and founder of the Negro Voters League of Virginia. He chaired the…

James-Lee-Elementary-26-May-1953  cafeteria.jpg
Historical MarkerThe James Lee Elementary School opened in February 1948. It was built on land purchased in 1866 by African American James Edward Lee (1839-1919), who was born free. In 1945, James Lee’s son sold a portion of the original property to…

Historical MarkerThis Colonial Revival bungalow (part of 1724 1,279-acre Pearson Grant) bought by Dr. Edwin B. Henderson in 1913. Henderson's ancestors include Powhattan Chief Mimetou. In 1904 he was first African-American certified to teach physical…

In 1867, African Americans built Galloway United Methodist Church and established the historic cemetery. (Note: A church history states that in 1862 the Methodists acquired the property.) Baptists and Methodists worshipped together before…

Enslaved people were kept in the jail and sold on the courthouse steps. The Historic Records Center in the courthouse has information including the court slavery index…

The Floris Colored School was a two-room building that was located on Squirrel Hill Road in Herndon. The building was demolished and replaced in 2009 with the nearby Lutie Lewis Coates Elementary School, 2840 River Birch Road, Herndon, 20171

The original two-room Oak Grove School for Black children was built sometime during the 1880s in Herndon, near the Loudoun County line. It served children from the Oak Grove and Cooktown communities. The schoolhouse was replaced in 1930 with some…

School-Eleven Oaks Elementary 1958.jpg
After fifty years of use, the Fairfax Colored School needed to be repaired or replaced. Community members formed the Fairfax Colored School League to petition the School Board for a new building. The School Board agreed but would not provide all the…

In the late 1870s, an ex-confederate officer, George W. Gaines devoted a portion of his property that was near the Fairfax Courthouse for an African American school, near an already existing African American church and cemetery. The one-room school…

Formerly enslaved, Alfred Odrick helped organize the formation of a one-room schoolhouse that was built on to his property on Lewinsville Road. Classes began in 1879 for area Black students. The school was also used for community meetings and the…

Pleasant Grove Church(3)courtesy Carole L. Herrick.bmp
Pleasant Grove Methodist Episcopal Church was founded in 1882 with seven trustees: Samuel Sharper, John Willard, Elmead Sharper, William Sharper, William Hatcher, William Harris, and William Grayson. Initial services were held in Odrick’s School…

A Black woman, Lettie Ellis Ford, dedicated one acre of property that was given to her for the construction of a church. A white framed church was built on the site along Georgetown Pike in 1903.

Jim Moss was granted a license in 1972, to operate a riding stable off Bellview Road. He named it Shadybrook Stables. The facility offered horseback riding lessons, specializing in English riding. There were stalls for horses, an indoor arena, an…

Under the leadership of Reverend Cyrus Carter, founder of the First Baptist Church Lincolnsville, Black residents living along the corridor of Lewinsville Road, organized in 1872 to form the Shiloh Baptist Church. The initial services were held…

Located in the historic Drew-Smith Elementary School, the museum houses photographs and documents more than 100 years old which tell the story of the founding and growth of the Gum Springs community.

In 1866, the first Woodlawn United Methodist church was built on a plot of land adjacent to where the current cemetery exists. The land was donated by a Quaker neighbor, Joseph Cox in response to a request from William Holland. The church was built…

In 1846, Chalkley Gillingham and his business partners purchased the 2,000-acre Woodlawn plantation property from Washington Family heirs. They relocated from their homes in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New York in order to establish a free labor…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2