Browse Items (30 total)

The church was started around 1886 by a former slave Jackson Hughes who married former slave Mariah Beckwith. Where they lived was originally called Jacksonville, then Hughesville.

First Mount calvary near the courthous.jpg
The church congregation traces its history to the African American men and women who settled near the Fairfax Courthouse. The recently emancipated enslaved formed an organization to raise funds to build a church. Land was purchased from the estate of…

chanilly baptist.png
The church was founded in 1880 by Revered Marshall D. Williams of Prince William with a service held in a “little log schoolhouse.” The first trustees appointed were William H. Newman, Abeham Edwards, John Monroe, Levi Harris, Benjamin Bias, John…

Cub run church.jpg
Cub Run Primitive Church was a spiritual center of the Bull Run community, founded by African Americans descended from enslaved people manumitted by Robert Carter’s Deed of Gift. The present building was built on land donated by Anthony Harris in the…

mount olive baptist church centreville.png
The Mount Olive Church was organized as the Montezuma Baptist Church around 1885 in Centreville, Virginia, in what was known as "Uniontown" and later recognized as "Bush Town." The Montezuma Baptist Church was admitted into the Northern Virginia…

Dedicated and opened in 1964. Since 1973, the Sideburn Civic Community Association has operated the community center as a recreation center and meeting place for community meetings and activities. James M. Goins was the group’s first president. The…

In the early 1900s, the Little Bethel Church was started as a mission church by the members of Little Zion Baptist Church on Burke Lake Road. The church was built on land donated by David R. Pinn.
A cemetery is located on the south side of the David…

The white frame church was preceded by the brick church Payne’s Church, an original colonial Anglican Church. That church building went unused after the American Revolution. It is believed that Baptists may have started meeting there as early as…

clifton primitive baptist church.jpg
The church was built c. 1871 on land bequeathed by the former owner to emancipated enslaved persons. The one room, white frame building was also used as a school for the African American children in the area. The church is the oldest church in the…

2nd-Baptist-1870_cropped-230x300.jpg
The red-brick building with steep-pitched roof and cupola-shaped bell tower was built in 1926. It has a brick 1970 addition for church activities and offices. Old one-story building has full basement, 10,800 sq. ft. Both roofs are shingled.
Elder…

In 1867, African Americans built Galloway United Methodist Church and established the historic cemetery. (Note: A church history states that in 1862 the Methodists acquired the property.) Baptists and Methodists worshipped together before…

First Baptist Church Merrifield(1).JPG
On September 18, 2021, First Baptist celebrated its 151st homecoming anniversary celebration weekend, marking 151 years of providing spiritual leadership, community outreach, and opportunities for worship in the Baptist tradition to residents of…

Little zion.jpg
In 1891, the white frame Little Zion Baptist Church was built for $25 by formerly enslaved people.

John “Jack” Pearson donated land to build a church. The congregation members, who were known as Old School Baptist Group of Black and Whites, chose…

Reverend Cyrus Franklin Carter was born enslaved in 1815 in Port-as-Prince, Haiti. When he was a young child, his family was relocated to Lancaster County, Virginia, where he resided until enslaved people were emancipated during the Civil War. Along…

Carter Grave.bmp
The church was founded in 1866 by Cyrus Carter, a Haitian immigrant, as the First Baptist Church Lincolnville. The church building was erected on property donated by Carter who had purchased the land from General John S. Crocker. It was renamed First…

Gunnell’s Chapel was constructed in 1877 as a small one-room clapboard house of worship along Georgetown Pike on land donated by the Robert Gunnell family. The church was built directly beside the Langley Toll House. It served as a place for worship…

A small wooden church and adjoining cemetery was built in 1898 on one acre of land just off Walker Road, along today’s Millstead Road.

Pleasant Grove Church(3)courtesy Carole L. Herrick.bmp
Pleasant Grove Methodist Episcopal Church was founded in 1882 with seven trustees: Samuel Sharper, John Willard, Elmead Sharper, William Sharper, William Hatcher, William Harris, and William Grayson. Initial services were held in Odrick’s School…

A Black woman, Lettie Ellis Ford, dedicated one acre of property that was given to her for the construction of a church. A white framed church was built on the site along Georgetown Pike in 1903.

Under the leadership of Reverend Cyrus Carter, founder of the First Baptist Church Lincolnsville, Black residents living along the corridor of Lewinsville Road, organized in 1872 to form the Shiloh Baptist Church. The initial services were held…

frying pan.png
From the National Register:
During the 18th and early 19th centuries, Baptists were among the few religious groups in Virginia that were openly accepting of African Americans. Frying Pan Meetinghouse is one of the state’s oldest surviving Baptist…

In 1866, the first Woodlawn United Methodist church was built on a plot of land adjacent to where the current cemetery exists. The land was donated by a Quaker neighbor, Joseph Cox in response to a request from William Holland. The church was built…

Shiloh Baptist Church-According to tradition, African Americans from the Mason Neck area and others who had recently moved to Virginia from Maryland formed a religious congregation in 1869. They built a log church on the north side of Gunston Road in…

In 1867 freed formerly enslaved people moved to Alexandria (part of Fairfax County) where Charles H. Brown sold them 60 acres of land. Charles and Eliza Brown of Westchester, New York also deeded one acre of land to the “Freed Men of Fairfax County.”…

In 1955, Congregational Church members met to establish a church in Northern Virginia where all races could worship. They met in the Annandale Elementary School, openly defying the Virginia Law that required segregated seating in public assemblies.…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2