Luther P. Jackson High School

Dublin Core

Title

Luther P. Jackson High School

Date

School built 1954
Historic marker placed in 2004 by Fairfax County History Commission

Description

Opened in 1954, it was the first and only high school in Fairfax County created to serve the African American community. Luther Porter Jackson was a prominent historian, educator, and founder of the Negro Voters League of Virginia. He chaired the history department at Virginia State College in Petersburg, Virginia. Until 1965 the school was racially segregated. That year it became a socially integrated school for grades seven and eight. One-story brick school had an addition in 1958. On 19.4275 acres. Valued in 2021 at $10,432,710, but tax exempt.

Source

Yearbooks in Fairfax County Public Library – “Tiger” for High school 1955 to 1965, Intermediate 1980
Oral histories, with alumni who share their memories of attending segregated schools: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaTg1hlaA-
Oral history transcript, Camille Brown, at Fairfax library Virginia Room https://research.fairfaxcounty.gov/ld.php?content_id=63206236

Building Item Type Metadata

Additional Name

Luther Jackson Middle School

Location

3020 Gallows Road, Falls Church, Va. Parcel No. 049-4 (1) 14

District

Providence

Historical Marker

Marker is on Gallows Road (county Route 650) north of Arlington Boulevard (Route 50). 38° 52.136′ N, 77° 13.674′ W. https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=176

Photo Credit

Courtesy of FCPS

Files

School-Luther Jackson High School August 18 1954.jpg

Collection

Citation

“Luther P. Jackson High School,” Fairfax County African American History Inventory, accessed April 19, 2024, https://fairfaxaahi.centerformasonslegacies.com/items/show/131.

Geolocation