Browse Items (10 total)

Experience African American history firsthand at the Tinner Hill Historic Park in Falls Church, Virginia. This Park is the site of what was home to Joseph and Elizabeth Tinner, the couple who fought segregation laws after the borders of neighboring…

Tinner Hill(1) Shuman.JPG
Tinner Hill is a community in Falls Church, Virginia at the intersection of Tinner Hill Road and Washington Street (Lee Highway) that shares land with Fairfax County—it is officially in both jurisdictions. The street itself has nine frame houses…

2nd-Baptist-1870_cropped-230x300.jpg
The red-brick building with steep-pitched roof and cupola-shaped bell tower was built in 1926. It has a brick 1970 addition for church activities and offices. Old one-story building has full basement, 10,800 sq. ft. Both roofs are shingled.
Elder…

Roots of the group date to December 15, 1875. In 1946 a group of Masons moved away from their home lodges and formed a lodge at the First Baptist Church. Leaders of the movement were Charles R. Dale, the Rev. Wallace E. Costner, and the Rev. Columbus…

School-Luther Jackson High School August 18 1954.jpg
Opened in 1954, it was the first and only high school in Fairfax County created to serve the African American community. Luther Porter Jackson was a prominent historian, educator, and founder of the Negro Voters League of Virginia. He chaired the…

James-Lee-Elementary-26-May-1953  cafeteria.jpg
Historical MarkerThe James Lee Elementary School opened in February 1948. It was built on land purchased in 1866 by African American James Edward Lee (1839-1919), who was born free. In 1945, James Lee’s son sold a portion of the original property to…

Historical Marker Seizing Freedom and Facing Challenges You are standing across the street from land that Harriet Brice, a “free woman of color,” purchased in 1864. Together with her husband, George Brice, she struggled to farm the property during…

First Baptist Church Merrifield(1).JPG
On September 18, 2021, First Baptist celebrated its 151st homecoming anniversary celebration weekend, marking 151 years of providing spiritual leadership, community outreach, and opportunities for worship in the Baptist tradition to residents of…

In October 1864, a contingent of Confederate John S. Mosby’s raiders entered Falls Church to steal horses. A member of the Home Guard sounded an alarm alerting Falls Church residents and the Union pickets about the presence of the raiders. During the…

There were 40 boundary stones placed in a square to mark the original boundaries of the District of Columbia. The sandstone markers were placed at one-mile intervals to measure 10 miles on each side, giving a total of 100 square miles. Assisting…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2