Historic Centreville Park & Historic District

Dublin Core

Title

Historic Centreville Park & Historic District

Date

c. 1760 - present

Description

The owners of Royal Oaks and Mount Gilead used enslaved labor. The Royal Oaks household also included a free African American well before the Civil War (1820). The Newgate Tavern used enslaved and convict labor. Throughout the antebellum period Centreville was a site for hiring out enslaved labor each year. Centreville residents Alexander Grigsby and Robert Whaley were both engaged in the slave trade.

Source

Centreville, Virginia, Its History and Architecture. Eugenia Smith, 1973. Fairfax County Public Library

Remembering Fairfax County, Virginia. Karl Reiner, 2006. Fairfax County Public Library

The Millrace. Newsletter of the Historic Centreville Society. Virginia Room, Fairfax County Public Library

Northern Virginia History Notes website. Debbie Robison. Accessed at: http://www.novahistory.org/ 

Mathew Brady’s Manassas Photo Journal. Dennis Hogge, 2011. Virginia Room, Fairfax County Public Library

Mathew Brady’s First Manassas. Dennis Hogge, 2013. Virginia Room, Fairfax County Public Library

Images of America: Centreville and Chantilly. Mary Stachyra Lopez, 2014. Fairfax County Public Library

Site Location Item Type Metadata

Location

The Centreville Historic District is north of Route 29 and east of Route 28. Most historic sites are along Braddock Road, Mount Gilead Road, and Wharton Lane

District

Sully

Collection

Citation

“Historic Centreville Park & Historic District,” Fairfax County African American History Inventory, accessed April 19, 2024, https://fairfaxaahi.centerformasonslegacies.com/items/show/180.