Browse Items (209 total)

Formerly enslaved, Alfred Odrick helped organize the formation of a one-room schoolhouse that was built on to his property on Lewinsville Road. Classes began in 1879 for area Black students. The school was also used for community meetings and the…

Formerly enslaved, Alfred Odrick, purchased 30 acres in 1872 along the south side of Lewinsville Road beginning at Springhill Road. Odrick farmed the land, but he was a carpenter by trade and, so, built his house. A vibrant Black community developed…

There were 40 boundary stones placed in a square to mark the original boundaries of the District of Columbia. The sandstone markers were placed at one-mile intervals to measure 10 miles on each side, giving a total of 100 square miles. Assisting…

This cemetery is located on the west side of the 500 block of Lewis Street, off Lawyers Road, in Vienna. According to an article in the 26 May 1988 Vienna Times by Carol Bonham, this cemetery is on land once owned by Capt. Harmon L. Salsbury where he…

Carter Grave.bmp
The church was founded in 1866 by Cyrus Carter, a Haitian immigrant, as the First Baptist Church Lincolnville. The church building was erected on property donated by Carter who had purchased the land from General John S. Crocker. It was renamed First…

Camp Wadsworth was located on the property of Commander James W. Cooke that includes today’s Madison of McLean townhouse development, and the nearby property of Lewis Means, part of today’s McLean Central Park.

In 1869 Andrew Lee, an African American, purchased 20 acres of land in the Frying Pan area from Ann Keeler. In 1891 he transferred 3/4 of an acre of the land to his son, Edward Lee. Edward built this house on his parcel of land. His father's house…

In 1968, Cooktown was still home to an estimated 15-20 families. Among the 15 dwellings there was one with a septic tank and indoor plumbing. There was no gas, water or sewer service. There were seven homes with electricity, four with telephones. …

A Black community existed in Dunn Loring after the Civil War along Haney Lane, where Kilmer Middle School is located, and in the area west of what today is the Dunn Loring Volunteer Fire Station 13 at 2148 Gallows Road. That land was owned by George…

In 1867, African Americans built Galloway United Methodist Church and established the historic cemetery. (Note: A church history states that in 1862 the Methodists acquired the property.) Baptists and Methodists worshipped together before…

ffirst Baptist Church of Vienna (2).jpg
First Baptist Church of Vienna (FBCV), founded in 1867, is the first and oldest church in Vienna, Virginia, founded by several African Americans working on a Vienna farm owned by Major O.E. Hine.
Seeing their desire to hold religious services, in…

079 Hall Monument.jpg
A small brick monument in back of Linway Terrace Park.
A modest memorial was built by artist Georgia Jessup to honor her ancestors, Maria and Christopher Columbus Hall. Hall purchased 26 acres in Lincolnville along Kirby Road in 1865 from Francis P.…

2nd-Baptist-1870_cropped-230x300.jpg
The red-brick building with steep-pitched roof and cupola-shaped bell tower was built in 1926. It has a brick 1970 addition for church activities and offices. Old one-story building has full basement, 10,800 sq. ft. Both roofs are shingled.
Elder…

Ash Grove plantation.jpg
J. Henry Borgus purchased 27 acres in 1892 at the junction of Leesburg Pike and Lewinsville Road. He built a farmhouse overlooking Leesburg Pike and named it Ash Grove Farm. He farmed 23 acres that were part of his property on the opposite side of…

The church was started around 1886 by a former slave Jackson Hughes who married former slave Mariah Beckwith. Where they lived was originally called Jacksonville, then Hughesville.

lane's mill 2.jpg
James Pendleton Robinson, like his grandfather James “Gentleman Jim” Robinson of Prince William County, after emancipation, became a prominent member in the community. Robinson owned a farm opposite Nestor Kincheloe’s mill at the confluence of Big…

The history of the cemetery goes back to 1873 when Jeremiah Mannie Jackson (1816 – 1912) purchased 184 acres from Ansel and Mary Wheedon of Vermont in the Sideburn/Burke area. Jeremiah and his wife Martha farmed the land and had eleven children.…

Jim Moss was granted a license in 1972, to operate a riding stable off Bellview Road. He named it Shadybrook Stables. The facility offered horseback riding lessons, specializing in English riding. There were stalls for horses, an indoor arena, an…

In 1784, the Moss Family built their home Green Spring on their 540 acres of farmland. Most likely slave labor was involved in building the home. In 1795 John Moss wrote a deed of manumission (emancipation from slavery) for 14 slaves on Green Spring…

In the early 1920s an African American community was settled not far from the Historical Courthouse. After a fire had damaged most of Main Street, a developer John Rust, bought the land around School Street and subdivided it into lots. Many African…

Gunnell’s Chapel was constructed in 1877 as a small one-room clapboard house of worship along Georgetown Pike on land donated by the Robert Gunnell family. The church was built directly beside the Langley Toll House. It served as a place for worship…

The church was organized in 1863 in people’s homes under the leadership of the former enslaved Reverend Samuel K. Taylor. In 1865, the first church building was erected and named Bethlehem. The original structure, built of lumber donated from a…

This cemetery is the final resting place of both Black and White residents of Gum Springs. The Peake family owned the property from 1762-1805. The Peake family held 3 enslaved people and the area is believed to have been an enslaved cemetery. West…

Ash grove kitchen outbuilding.jpg
Eighteenth Century Plantation Outbuilding Kitchen & Quarters .

Ash Grove House, dating to circa 1790, was built by Thomas Fairfax on land that had been acquired by the Fairfax family in 1740. The small brick structure, identified as an…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2