Odrick's Schoolhouse

Dublin Core

Title

Odrick's Schoolhouse

Date

1879

Description

Formerly enslaved, Alfred Odrick helped organize the formation of a one-room schoolhouse that was built on to his property on Lewinsville Road. Classes began in 1879 for area Black students. The school was also used for community meetings and the first services of the Shiloh Baptist Church. The original wooden structure was taken down around 1943 and replaced with a larger red-brick schoolhouse that closed ca. 1954. The brick schoolhouse was later demolished.

Creator

Alfred Odrick

Building Item Type Metadata

Location

The school building was located in the triangle formed at the southwest corner of Lewinsville and Spring Hill Roads.

District

Dranesville

Additional Notes

The Charity Baptist Church stands today on the property of the former schoolhouse.

Collection

Citation

Alfred Odrick, “Odrick's Schoolhouse,” Fairfax County African American History Inventory, accessed April 19, 2024, https://fairfaxaahi.centerformasonslegacies.com/items/show/56.