Browse Items (209 total)

This booklet tells the story of this Vienna church that was founded after the Civil War through the backing of a Union veteran who settled in the community

Doctoral project submitted to the faculty of George Peabody College for Teachers of Vanderbilt University. Dr. Judith Saunders was a descendent of West Ford and grew up in Gum Springs.

This painting depicts a man, woman, and child riding on a single horse. The man looks forward while the woman turns to look behind them. The scene is early morning light before sunrise. On the back of the painting is an inscription by the artist: “A…

Tags: ,

Bradley E. Gernard describes four communities of freedmen (pages 234-235). They are Baptist Hill, Tinner Hill (this community still exists) Southgate subdivision, Gravel Bank (along Railroad Avenue next to Shreve Road in Falls Church)

Preserving and telling the stories of the United States Colored Troops involvement in the American Civil War

In 1935 at least two juries were established in Fairfax County with African American members. This was significant because Blacks were usually excluded from serving on juries in Virginia. Press reports indicated that these were the first African…

Behind Union lines, enslaved person who escaped or was brought within Union lines during the American Civil War were used on confiscated farms to raise food for the army and wood chopping to help in the construction of the Orange and Alexandria…

Originally the segregated library for Alexandria's African American residents, the museum documents the local and national history, culture and contributions of Black America

Formerly enslaved, Alfred Odrick, purchased 30 acres in 1872 along the south side of Lewinsville Road beginning at Springhill Road. Odrick farmed the land, but he was a carpenter by trade and, so, built his house. A vibrant Black community developed…

The Fairfax County Park Authority erected a wayside historic marker at the site of Alfred Odrick’s house on the paved pathway beside Lewinsville Road. The remains of the cellar foundation made of stone is visible directly behind the sign.

sully dairy.jpg
Lawrence and Gladys Lee purchased a 120-acre dairy farm located on Centreville Road in 1945. The farm, like their daughter, was called Alta Lee. Alta recalled a carefree childhood centered on family, school, and church, spending time riding horses…

The church was founded in 1846 as Annandale’s Methodist Episcopal Church on farmland deeded by William Garges. The church was destroyed during the Civil War and rebuilt in 1870. The small white frame church was built by Thomas Walker and included a…

Ash grove kitchen outbuilding.jpg
Eighteenth Century Plantation Outbuilding Kitchen & Quarters .

Ash Grove House, dating to circa 1790, was built by Thomas Fairfax on land that had been acquired by the Fairfax family in 1740. The small brick structure, identified as an…

In 1861, Abraham Lincoln reviewed Union troops nearby. Springdale, later known as Bailey’s Crossroads, was settled by freed enslaved people in the 1880s. The community thrived and built their own school and church. The school was built on a five-acre…

The 1760 map of Fairfax County indicated that there were 15 enslaved people at Belvoir, home of the Fairfax family. There were likely more enslaved people associated with this property prior to the death of William Fairfax, who subdivided his…

The church was organized in 1863 in people’s homes under the leadership of the former enslaved Reverend Samuel K. Taylor. In 1865, the first church building was erected and named Bethlehem. The original structure, built of lumber donated from a…

Dramatic reading from historical documents performed by Bob Hartman, Janis Harless, Jerry Lyons, Gary Knipling, and Anne Barnes. Produced ... in order to document a small antebellum settlement of free Blacks clustered along Neck Road, now known as…

1970s interview on audio tape in the office that has not been digitized.: Mr West died in 1978 at age 104.

Black communities that once existed in Fairfax County are discussed. They include Merrifield, originally called Mills Crossing; The Pines; and Williamstown, now Merrifield and Dunn Loring.

Ash Grove plantation.jpg
J. Henry Borgus purchased 27 acres in 1892 at the junction of Leesburg Pike and Lewinsville Road. He built a farmhouse overlooking Leesburg Pike and named it Ash Grove Farm. He farmed 23 acres that were part of his property on the opposite side of…

This was a livestream presentation on Thursday, January 14, 2021, from George Washington’s Mount Vernon. It was a live discussion between William Holland and Brenda Parker, Mount Vernon Character Interpreter & African American Interpretation &…

“Historic Cemetery Halts Road Project” The Connection newspaper April 19, 2006

A group of more than 40 people emancipated from Robert Carter III’s Leo Farm between 1793 to 1826 established a community southwest of Centreville between Bull Run and Cub Run. The Harris and Robinson families were prominent, but there were many…

When he was eleven years old, George Washington inherited ten human beings. His own life has been well chronicled, but the lives of the people he owned--the people who supported his plantation and were buried in unmarked graves there--have…

During the first years of the Civil War, thousands of enslaved people escaped to the District of Columbia in search of freedom. During May and June of 1863, as the number of contrabands grew, the Union Army decided to relocate the growing number of…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2