HomeGeneral ResourcesResearch TopicsII. Education/Schools

II. Education/Schools

Introductory Timeline about the opportunity for education provided for the enslaved and later generations.

Name Notes
Bailey’s Cross Roads

 A one room school opened  November 30, 1917. A two-room opened  January 20, 1922.

Bethlehem Baptist Church

In 1865 the community built a church with lumber from the US. Government. School was held in the church, also.

Cartersville Baptist Church

School was held in the Church from 1927 until 1939 when the Vienna Colored school opened.

Chantilly Baptist Church

It was in 1880 that Reverend Marshall D. Williams conducted the first service in a “Little Log School House” in Chantilly, Virginia. The Little Log School House occupied the one-acre of land that was purchased on which to build a church. A new church building opened in 1889.


Chesterbrook Colored School AKA Lincolnville

A one room schoolhouse opened in 1906; it was not owned by FCPS. Chesterbrook Methodist Episcopal began worshipping in the schoolhouse in 1906. On July 13, 1950, FCPS rented space for schooling from the church and later at the Chesterbrook Odd Fellows building.

Clifton Primitive Baptist Church

School was  held in the church in 1871.

Clifton Colored School

A one room school opened March 17, 1878. A two room school of Rosenwald** design opened February 25, 1922.

Drew-Smith Elementary School

The school opened 1952-1953 and closed June 1965.

Dranesville Colored School

The school opened around 1915 and closed in 1925.

Eleven Oaks School

Eleven Oaks Elementary School opened on September 8, 1953 and was closed in June 1966. Most Eleven Oaks students were integrated into nearby elementary schools.

Fairfax Colored School

A one room schoolhouse opened  July 5, 1882. [1878 Hopkins map shows Colored school house on Main Street near Fairfax City Cemetery.]

Fairfax Colored School 2

With community support and leadership of the  Fairfax Colored League, the Rosenwald design school was constructed between 1925 and 1926. The school closed in 1966.

First Baptist Church of Vienna

The church was built in 1867 and served as a school and meeting place for civic gatherings.

Fort Belvoir (Fort Humphries) Negro School

 The U.S. Army installation has had many school buildings over the years. The schools were built with federal funds, but staffed and operated by educators from Fairfax County Public Schools. Fort Belvoir Records show that the schools on post were segregated at one time.

Floris Colored School AKA: Frying Pan Colored School

A one room  school opened March 8, 1870. A two-room school of  Rosenwald Design opened June 7, 1932.

Forestville Colored School

  A one room school opened  August 30, 1884.

Gunston Colored School

The school opened November 25, 1882. Fairfax County Public Schools bought one acre of land for the segregated school.

Herndon Colored School

no information available

Hughesville School AKA Barnes Woods

Barnes Woods school operated from 1882-1883. Hughesville School was built on land once owned by the Barnes Family April 23, 1887.

Laurel Grove School

In 1881, William  Jasper donated a half-acre of his land for the construction of a school for the area’s black children. Fellow neighbors, parents, and grandparents donated lumber, etc. They labored together to erect an A-frame, single-room schoolhouse, typical of the era. The schoolhouse still stands today.

Little Bethel Church

The Church was built in 1918. During the week, the pews were converted into desks for the children to attend school.

Lincolnia Colored

No information

Louise Archer Elementary

See Vienna Colored School

Luther P. Jackson High School

The school opened in 1954 as the only high school for Black students in Fairfax County.

Manassas Industrial School

In 1937 a joint board from Fairfax, Fauquier, and Prince William bought the Manassas Industrial School to a establish a regional high school for Black students.

Merrifield Colored School

Prior to 1897 there had been a school for Black students. A one room school opened Jan 2, 1897. A two-room school opened in the Merrifield  Odd Fellows Hall on January 6, 1939. It was  not owned by Fairfax County Public Schools.

Mount Pleasant Baptist Church

A school was established in the church  by the Freedman’s Bureau in 1867. A one room school opened on February 26, 1877.

Oak Grove Colored School

A one room school opened in December 1891. A two room of Rosenwald Design opened on July 7,1930.

Oak Hill (Seminary) Colored

Originally the property was in Fairfax County. A one room opened on August 31, 1898 ( in today’s Fort Ward Park)  A two room school opened February 3, 1898 near present T.C. Williams High School.

Odrick’s School House

A one room opened March 28, 1885. A two-room brick school opened April 2, 1943.

Ox Road Colored

No information available

Rock Hill Freedman School AKA Fox’s Hill

The Rock Hill school was established in early 1868 by Charles and Jesse Harris. The school was incorporated into the Fairfax County Public School system when it was established in 1870. The school was located on present-day Naylor Road.


Second Baptist Church of Falls Church

 A school met in the church around 1872.

Spring Bank Elementary School

A school opened 1890 and remained open until FCPS schools were integrated.

Vienna Colored  

Prior to FCPS, a school that was supported  by the Freedmen’s Bureau starting September 1, 1867, met in the First Baptist Church of Vienna.  A one room schoolhouse opened October 21, 1896. This Vienna Colored School was the Town of Vienna’s public school for African American children until the Louise Archer school opened in 1939.

Woodlawn Colored

A school met in the  Woodlawn Methodist Church in Augus 4, 1866.  A. one  room schoolhouse opened November 13, 1888.


Jeff Clark  Data research – FCPS school deeds. Video Production Specialist; Communication and Community Relations Fairfax County Public Schools jfclark1@fcps.edu

Fairfax County Public Schools What’s in a Name?: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?app=desktop&list=PLSz76NCRDYQGWuh3TuqmRkYGvI5e-4SO4

Memories of Luther Jackson High School: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?app=desktop&list=PLSz76NCRDYQGWuh3TuqmRkYGvI5e-4SO4

Rosenwald ** schools in Virginia

Desegregation of Fairfax County Public Schools began in 1960 and ended in the school year 1965-1966.

African American Education in the Town/ City of Fairfax” [once part of Fairfax County]  

Negro Education in Virginia by Guy Pruden Norris (Charlottesville, VA: University of Virginia, 1935)   

A history of education for black students in Fairfax County prior to 1954 by Evelyn D. Russell-Porte  

Shades of Change: The Other Side of Floris – Videotape – Frying Pan Farm Park,  

A History of Public Secondary Education in Fairfax County by Lonnie J. Hinkle   

Memories of Segregated Schools  

Desegregation - Oral History  

“Honoring Sheila Coates during Women’s History Month 2018 Nevertheless, She Persisted” by Andrea Worker

Desegregation: The Leaders | Fairfax County Public Schools Who were the leaders of FCPS during desegregation?   

Desegregation: Writings | Fairfax County Public Schools  

Desegregation: In the News | Fairfax County Public Schools  

Desegregation in the 1960s Judy Street Joins the March to Selma by Laura Olson Peebles  

Desegregation in Fairfax County, Virginia Schools  

Desegregation of Virginia Education (DOVE) by Old Dominion University

School Histories | Fairfax County Public Schools  

History of Louise Archer School  

Fairfax County Public School Board minutes 1922-2020, online  

Guideline to Fairfax County School Records and Ledgers 1870-1905  [FINDING AID]  

Records and Ledgers are located at the Historic Archives Center and are accessed in person.  

Manassas Industrial School   

Jennie Dean - Jennie Dean made secondary education possible for African Americans in Northern Virginia. Born enslaved in Loudoun County, Jennie Serepta Dean (April 15, 1848–May 3, 1913) became involved with education at about the age of 30 when she founded a Sunday school in Prince William County. From there she established more religious schools, several of which grew into church congregations. She also taught classes in cooking and sewing. Dean began planning a new institution[Manassas Industrial School for Colored Youth] that would teach skilled trades to African Americans. She, her sister, and one other person started building local support for the idea in 1888.

Manassas Industrial School for Colored Youth history

The blood of the lamb: a story of the Manassas Industrial School for Colored Children told through the eyes of former students  by Dennis Howard  

Earl L. Pulley, Who is Earl Pulley?    

Lutie Lewis Coates, What’s in a Name – School History Lutie Lewis Coates Elementary School   

Oswald Robinson - Robinson was a principal at both segregated and integrated schools in Fairfax County Public Schools.  He worked under four superintendents and once was accused of being too nice to his teachers.  

Louise Archer  - In 1922 Archer became teacher and principal for a one-room segregated school in Vienna. Devoted to her students, she worked to improve their learning experience. She organized a Parent Teacher Association to raise funds for supplies and a new building, which opened in 1939 with three rooms.  

Lillian Hopkins Carey was a teacher and principal at Bailey’s Elementary School

“He Ho, Come to the Fair, The Historical Society of Fairfax County, Virginia, Inc. Yearbook, Vol. 26, pp.83-85, Editors Dziobeck, Ring, Sprouse. Relates the history of segregated white and black county fairs in the early 1900s. School teachers encouraged students to compete at the county fairs.  

Manassas Industrial School was founded in 1894 by once enslaved Jennie Dean to provide an industrial/vocational education for African American children. In 1938, surrounding counties began to pay for African American students to attend there.  In Fairfax County, some students traveled two hours one way, each day, to get an education.  On September l, 1954, Luther Jackson High School open providing a secondary education for all African American high school students who lived in the county. 

Memories of Luther Jackson High School: YouTube

The story behind Fairfax County’s first high school for black students. (Luther Jackson High School)

Education of African American Deaf Students

Twenty-four Black deaf students receive their diplomas years later.

Galludet University presented diplomas to black and deaf students and honored four of their teachers.

A Vanished School Leaves Its imprint on a Changed Life

A Community Builds a School for their Children. The Story of the Laurel Grove Colored School.

Historic School’s Future Stirs Doubt by Mary Jordan