Marker

Dublin Core

Title

Marker

Description

A historical marker with its own information, or other types of physical markers

Collection Items

Ilda, a community located at the intersection of Guinea Road and Little River Turnpike, came into existence after the Civil War and lasted into the first half of the twentieth century. It originated when two freedmen, Horace Gibson, and Moses Parker,…

The Fairfax County Park Authority erected a wayside historic marker at the site of Alfred Odrick’s house on the paved pathway beside Lewinsville Road. The remains of the cellar foundation made of stone is visible directly behind the sign.

A small community developed around the property of Alfred Odrick at Spring Hill and Lewinsville Roads. It became known as Odrick’s Corner. Odrick purchased 30 acres on the south side of Lewinsville Road in 1872. The Shiloh Baptist Church and the…

Hall Memorial
A small brick monument in back of Linway Terrace Park.
A modest memorial was built by artist Georgia Jessup to honor her ancestors, Maria and Christopher Columbus Hall. Hall purchased 26 acres in Lincolnville along Kirby Road in 1865 from Francis P.…

There were 40 boundary stones placed in a square to mark the original boundaries of the District of Columbia. The sandstone markers were placed at one-mile intervals to measure 10 miles on each side, giving a total of 100 square miles. Assisting…

Chesterbrook - This Fairfax County Historic Marker speaks to the racially mixed community that developed along Kirby Road after the Civil War. The community was originally known as Lincolnville, but the name changed to Chesterbrook in 1897 when the…

Between 1899-1903 George Carroll purchased 121 acres adjacent to the original 10 acres bequeathed to him by Dennis Johnston, owner of his mother, Jane. By 1918 Carroll had sold 51 acres to family including the Kelly, Baker, Carter, Harris, Horad and…

In the early 1880s, former slaves organized a congregation and held church services near a grove of laurel on Beulah Road. The trustees, including Middleton Braxton, George Carroll, Thornton Gray, and William Jasper, were focused on educating the…

Aristocrat William Fitzhugh was granted 21,996 acres in 1694: The Ravensworth tract, which was divided into northern and southern halves in 1701 and subsequently subdivided among Fitzhugh heirs throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. The cemetery…

Even as Fairfax County Public Schools were integrating in the 1960s, community pools and tennis courts were still largely closed to African Americans. Many area swim and tennis clubs had language in their by-laws setting out procedures for evaluating…
View all 10 items