Carrolltown Historical Marker

Dublin Core

Title

Carrolltown Historical Marker

Description

Between 1899-1903 George Carroll purchased 121 acres adjacent to the original 10 acres bequeathed to him by Dennis Johnston, owner of his mother, Jane. By 1918 Carroll had sold 51 acres to family including the Kelly, Baker, Carter, Harris, Horad and Carroll families. The prosperous community Carrolltown that developed here consisted of these extended family units. These families, who were committed to the community’s success, donated lumber from
Carrolltown to build the Laurel Grove School and Church. Children from Carrolltown attended the school. George Carroll was a respected community member, a licensed business owner, and a trustee at the Laurel Grove Church.

Site Location Item Type Metadata

Location

Near Kingstowne Center Shopping Center furthers the story of Laurel Grove School and Church

Collection

Tags

Citation

“Carrolltown Historical Marker,” Fairfax County African American History Inventory, accessed April 19, 2024, https://fairfaxaahi.centerformasonslegacies.com/items/show/124.