Shiloh Baptist Church

Dublin Core

Title

Shiloh Baptist Church

Date

1891

Description

Under the leadership of Reverend Cyrus Carter, founder of the First Baptist Church Lincolnsville, Black residents living along the corridor of Lewinsville Road, organized in 1872 to form the Shiloh Baptist Church. The initial services were held several years later in the Odrick Schoolhouse, which was built in 1879, at the southwest corner of today’s Lewinsville and Springhill Roads. A quarter of an acre of land on Springhill Road was later purchased from Charles Elgin for the construction of a church. The dedication services for the church building were held October 11, 1891.

Building Item Type Metadata

Location

8310 Turning Leaf Lane, McLean, VA 22102

District

Dranesville

Additional Notes

The original church building burned in 1926. The congregation built another church three years later on the same site. That structure remains today and is listed of the Fairfax County Inventory of Historic Sites.

Collection

Citation

“Shiloh Baptist Church,” Fairfax County African American History Inventory, accessed April 19, 2024, https://fairfaxaahi.centerformasonslegacies.com/items/show/50.

Geolocation