First Baptist Church of Vienna

Dublin Core

Title

First Baptist Church of Vienna

Date

1867

Description

First Baptist Church of Vienna (FBCV), founded in 1867, is the first and oldest church in Vienna, Virginia, founded by several African Americans working on a Vienna farm owned by Major O.E. Hine.
Seeing their desire to hold religious services, in August 1867, Major Hine, who had served in the Union Army, said that he would provide a small plot of land in Vienna for education and religious purposes. On September 1, 1867, Major Hine presented a deed to the first trustees: George McBrown, Daniel West, and Edmund Harris, by O.E. Hine and Alma D. Hine for the sum of one dollar. They trusted that God would also aid them in getting a building.
With the efforts of Major Hine, they succeeded in acquiring lumber through the Freedman’s Bureau from a Civil War barracks which was being demolished. The first building was constructed at 315 Lawyers Road in 1867, which served as a school, as well as a meeting place for religious and civic gatherings. The Reverend Cyrus Carter served as the first pastor of the church and was succeeded by Reverend Alexander Henderson. Following Rev. Henderson, the church was under the pastorate of the Reverends Henry Marshall, A. Tilghman, Eli Blackwell, John Prior, James Scott, A. Davis, Joseph Matthews, Sheridan Carter, Edward Thomas, James
E. Douglas, Abraham Whigham, Nolan Williams, Glenwood Roane, Enoch Butler, and Kenny Smith. In 2014, First Baptist Church of Vienna elected Dr. Vernon C. Walton as its Senior Pastor.
Over 50 years ago, the congregation moved to the current location at 450 Orchard Street NW. In 1996, the edifice was expanded to accommodate the church’s focus on Christian worship, missionary activities, evangelism, community service and Christian education. FBCV, a missionary Baptist Church, is a paradigm for how the church can positively influence both the local and international community. At FBCV, the praises go up and the blessings continue to come down.

Creator

George McBrown
Daniel West
Edmund Harris

Building Item Type Metadata

Location

450 Orchard Street, NW Vienna, VA 22180

District

Hunter Mill

Additional Notes

First Baptist has continued to be a paradigm for how the church can positively influence both the local and international community. Working with area churches, First Baptist raised over
$28,000 for Tsunami relief in Asia and Africa; contributed over $53,000 to the Community Coalition for Haiti for Haiti earthquake relief; donated 1000 bottles of vitamins to a hospital in Haiti; and contributed $5000 to build a college in Zimbabwe, East Africa.
Near this site where Hunter's Branch crosses the property, the First Baptist Church of Vienna regularly held baptismal services and ceremonies from 1923 until 1952. This property, now known as Carter's Glen, was the homestead of Charles Carter, grandson of a freed slave, and his descendants.

Photo Credit

Photo courtesy of Anne Stuntz

Files

ffirst Baptist Church of Vienna (2).jpg

Collection

Citation

George McBrown, Daniel West, and Edmund Harris, “First Baptist Church of Vienna,” Fairfax County African American History Inventory, accessed April 19, 2024, https://fairfaxaahi.centerformasonslegacies.com/items/show/4.

Geolocation