Clifton Primitive Baptist Church

Dublin Core

Title

Clifton Primitive Baptist Church

Date

1871

Description

The church was built c. 1871 on land bequeathed by the former owner to emancipated enslaved persons. The one room, white frame building was also used as a school for the African American children in the area. The church is the oldest church in the town of Clifton and is described as the oldest African American church in Fairfax County.

The church is included in the Fairfax County Inventory of Historic Sites

Source

Building Item Type Metadata

Location

At the intersections of Main Street and Chestnut Street near 7200 Main Street Clifton

District

Springfield

Additional Notes

From a plaque on the front of the church Inscription. Built in 1871 as the Clifton Old School Primitive Baptist Church, it is the oldest African-American church in Fairfax County. The town of Clifton was initially inhabited by emancipated slaves and the church was built on land donated by one of them, William E. Beckwith.
From a Facebook group page: Clifton Old School Primitive Baptist Church
The Clifton Old School Primitive Baptist Church opened in 1871. It was built by emancipated slaves on land bequeathed to them by their master. It is the oldest church in the town of Clifton and the oldest Black American Church in Fairfax County.
Slave inventory information states that William E. Beckwith owned over a thousand acres and enslaved 16 people for whom he provided four buildings.

Photo Credit

Courtesy of Maddy McCoy, Slavery Inventory Database, LLC

Files

clifton primitive baptist church.jpg

Collection

Citation

“Clifton Primitive Baptist Church,” Fairfax County African American History Inventory, accessed April 19, 2024, https://fairfaxaahi.centerformasonslegacies.com/items/show/142.

Geolocation