Mount Pleasant Baptist Church and Cemetery

Dublin Core

Title

Mount Pleasant Baptist Church and Cemetery

Date

1867- Present

Description

In 1867 freed formerly enslaved people moved to Alexandria (part of Fairfax County) where Charles H. Brown sold them 60 acres of land. Charles and Eliza Brown of Westchester, New York also deeded one acre of land to the “Freed Men of Fairfax County.” The land was to be used for religious and education purposes. The once enslaved built homes and a one room log building for church.
This first structure was used as a church and school. The cemetery was established next to the church. The cemetery contains over 200 marked graves and numerous unmarked graves. The cemetery is a mixture of commercial, military, and homemade gravestones.

Source

Building Item Type Metadata

Location

6477 Lincolnia Road, Alexandria, VA

District

Mason

Additional Notes

The Mount Pleasant Baptist Church is listed on the Fairfax County Inventory of Historic Sites.

Collection

Citation

“Mount Pleasant Baptist Church and Cemetery,” Fairfax County African American History Inventory, accessed April 19, 2024, https://fairfaxaahi.centerformasonslegacies.com/items/show/31.

Geolocation