Gunston Colored School

Dublin Core

Title

Gunston Colored School

Date

1882

Description

The Gunston Colored School was located at the entrance to the Gunston Hall property, across the street from the Gunston White School, which later became Shiloh Baptist Church. The one acre of land for the school was sold to Fairfax County by Edward Daniels, then owner of Gunston Hall. (Shortly after the Civil War, the Black community of Gunston had established a log school on Harley Road which they maintained until Fairfax County established the Gunston Colored School.)

Source

African American Landowners, Churches, Schools and Businesses, Fairfax County, Virginia (1860- 1900) brochure, text by Guinevere Jones, Brian Sales, Theora Austin, and Edith Sprouse, 2009.
“Between the lines: Free Blacks Living on Mason's Neck during the Civil War” DVD-R produced by the Gunston Hall Seeds of Independence Committee. Held in Gunston Hall Archives
“Early Schools along Route 1: Part 2” by Michael K. Bohn. Mount Vernon Gazette. 2006. http://scottsurovell.blogspot.com/2013/03/history-of-us-1-early-schools-along.html

School Item Type Metadata

Location

Gunston Road, across from Shiloh Baptist Church. The school site is located between the cemetery of Shiloh Baptist Church and the gate of Gunston Hall.

District

Mount Vernon

Collection

Citation

“Gunston Colored School,” Fairfax County African American History Inventory, accessed April 19, 2024, https://fairfaxaahi.centerformasonslegacies.com/items/show/20.

Geolocation