Slave Cemetery - Turley Hall

Dublin Core

Title

Slave Cemetery - Turley Hall

Description

This site was first reported as the "Slave and Help" cemetery associated with "Turley Hall" by lifelong Chantilly resident LESLIE COATES (1907-1999). "Turley Hall" was built c. 1797 and burned in 1995. Thundebird Archeology investigated this area and confirmed the presence of at least 12 graves.

Source

“Clover Hill Historical Marker,” Fairfax County History Commission, text published on the Fairfax County History Commission Highway Markers Map Tour website
https://fairfaxcountygis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/index.html?appid=ba14ba6c3ec04705aa0e2ad5f7108bb0
Turley Family Records. Beth Mitchell, Amelia F. Miller, et a., 1981. Virginia Room, Fairfax County Public Library

Cemetery Item Type Metadata

Location

South side of Barnesfield Rd., 1/2 mile west of Centreville Rd. Chantilly, Va

District

Sully

Collection

Citation

“Slave Cemetery - Turley Hall,” Fairfax County African American History Inventory, accessed April 19, 2024, https://fairfaxaahi.centerformasonslegacies.com/items/show/183.

Geolocation