Little Zion Baptist Church

Dublin Core

Title

Little Zion Baptist Church

Date

1890s

Description

In 1891, the white frame Little Zion Baptist Church was built for $25 by formerly enslaved people.

John “Jack” Pearson donated land to build a church. The congregation members, who were known as Old School Baptist Group of Black and Whites, chose the name Little Zion Baptist Church. Once enslaved Reverend Lewis Henry Bailey was the first hired minister. In the early 1900s, the church members founded sister churches, Zion Mission Baptist on Ox Road and Little Bethel Church in Sideburn. In 1963, a new church was built on Zion Drive, Greater Little Zion Baptist Church, and the original church building was leased.
As recorded in church history by Rev. Grant and Alberta Williams

Building Item Type Metadata

Location

Burke Lake Road

District

Braddock

Additional Notes

Little Zion Baptist Church is listed on the Fairfax County Inventory of Historic Sites

Photo Credit

Courtesy.of Maddy McCoy, Slavery Inventory Database, LLC

Files

Little zion.jpg

Collection

Citation

“Little Zion Baptist Church,” Fairfax County African American History Inventory, accessed April 19, 2024, https://fairfaxaahi.centerformasonslegacies.com/items/show/100.