Browse Items (5 total)

In 1867, African Americans built Galloway United Methodist Church and established the historic cemetery. (Note: A church history states that in 1862 the Methodists acquired the property.) Baptists and Methodists worshipped together before…

Carter Grave.bmp
The church was founded in 1866 by Cyrus Carter, a Haitian immigrant, as the First Baptist Church Lincolnville. The church building was erected on property donated by Carter who had purchased the land from General John S. Crocker. It was renamed First…

Pleasant Grove Church(3)courtesy Carole L. Herrick.bmp
Pleasant Grove Methodist Episcopal Church was founded in 1882 with seven trustees: Samuel Sharper, John Willard, Elmead Sharper, William Sharper, William Hatcher, William Harris, and William Grayson. Initial services were held in Odrick’s School…

In 1866, the first Woodlawn United Methodist church was built on a plot of land adjacent to where the current cemetery exists. The land was donated by a Quaker neighbor, Joseph Cox in response to a request from William Holland. The church was built…

The church was founded in 1846 as Annandale’s Methodist Episcopal Church on farmland deeded by William Garges. The church was destroyed during the Civil War and rebuilt in 1870. The small white frame church was built by Thomas Walker and included a…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2