Browse Items (14 total)

Historic Pleasant Grove is a community landmark in McLean, Virginia, built by and for African and Native Americans in the late 19th century.

Frances K. Moore Memorial Museum Named for a descendant of the church founders, the Frances K. Moore…

During the first years of the Civil War, thousands of enslaved people escaped to the District of Columbia in search of freedom. During May and June of 1863, as the number of contrabands grew, the Union Army decided to relocate the growing number of…

Chesterbrook - This Fairfax County Historic Marker speaks to the racially mixed community that developed along Kirby Road after the Civil War. The community was originally known as Lincolnville, but the name changed to Chesterbrook in 1897 when the…

Black youth were educated in the Chesterbrook Colored School, which operated inside the Oddfellows Lodge, which was built on the property of the First Baptist Church Chesterbrook. The Oddfellows building is no longer there.

Carter Grave.bmp
The church was founded in 1866 by Cyrus Carter, a Haitian immigrant, as the First Baptist Church Lincolnville. The church building was erected on property donated by Carter who had purchased the land from General John S. Crocker. It was renamed First…

There were 40 boundary stones placed in a square to mark the original boundaries of the District of Columbia. The sandstone markers were placed at one-mile intervals to measure 10 miles on each side, giving a total of 100 square miles. Assisting…

Gunnell’s Chapel was constructed in 1877 as a small one-room clapboard house of worship along Georgetown Pike on land donated by the Robert Gunnell family. The church was built directly beside the Langley Toll House. It served as a place for worship…

079 Hall Monument.jpg
A small brick monument in back of Linway Terrace Park.
A modest memorial was built by artist Georgia Jessup to honor her ancestors, Maria and Christopher Columbus Hall. Hall purchased 26 acres in Lincolnville along Kirby Road in 1865 from Francis P.…

Lincolnville was a mixed-race community that developed along Kirby Road shortly after the Civil War ceased. It was probably so named by Reverend Cyrus Carter, a Haitian immigrant, or General John S. Crocker, Warden of the Prisons in the District of…

082 Samuel Sharper Tombstone(5).jpg
The Pleasant Grove Methodist Episcopal Church was founded in 1882. By 1893, the congregation had enough funding to purchase an acre of land for a church building and cemetery. An original trustee, Samuel Sharper, died in 1895, before church…

Pleasant Grove Church(3)courtesy Carole L. Herrick.bmp
Pleasant Grove Methodist Episcopal Church was founded in 1882 with seven trustees: Samuel Sharper, John Willard, Elmead Sharper, William Sharper, William Hatcher, William Harris, and William Grayson. Initial services were held in Odrick’s School…

Jim Moss was granted a license in 1972, to operate a riding stable off Bellview Road. He named it Shadybrook Stables. The facility offered horseback riding lessons, specializing in English riding. There were stalls for horses, an indoor arena, an…

Five acres of land were purchased from the heirs of Charles Elgin in 1903 for church purposes and a burial ground.

Under the leadership of Reverend Cyrus Carter, founder of the First Baptist Church Lincolnsville, Black residents living along the corridor of Lewinsville Road, organized in 1872 to form the Shiloh Baptist Church. The initial services were held…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2