Browse Items (6 total)

In the early 1880s, former slaves organized a congregation and held church services near a grove of laurel on Beulah Road. The trustees, including Middleton Braxton, George Carroll, Thornton Gray, and William Jasper, were focused on educating the…

Tags: ,

Between 1899-1903 George Carroll purchased 121 acres adjacent to the original 10 acres bequeathed to him by Dennis Johnston, owner of his mother, Jane. By 1918 Carroll had sold 51 acres to family including the Kelly, Baker, Carter, Harris, Horad and…

Tags: ,

In 1935 at least two juries were established in Fairfax County with African American members. This was significant because Blacks were usually excluded from serving on juries in Virginia. Press reports indicated that these were the first African…

The African Americans of Co. No. 2399 camp No. Army 3 [C], who were stationed at Fort Belvoir, built a fire trail through what is today’s Lake Accotink Park. The trail crossed the then Outlying Reservation of Fort Belvoir. Senator Bristow, who lived…

Laurel Grove 2.JPG
Laurel Grove School was built by freed men and women in the 1880s to educate their children. Today the one room school is a museum sharing the history of African American families who built the school, furnished it, provided books, and hired the…

Franconia Museum is a 501(c)3 non-profit dedicated to preserving history of a community that in the 1800s was a thriving farming area southwest of the City of Alexandria.
The museum has a large collection of artifacts, exhibits, books, and videos,…

Tags: ,

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2