Browse Items (16 total)

The church was started around 1886 by a former slave Jackson Hughes who married former slave Mariah Beckwith. Where they lived was originally called Jacksonville, then Hughesville.

“Historic Cemetery Halts Road Project” The Connection newspaper April 19, 2006

Dedicated and opened in 1964. Since 1973, the Sideburn Civic Community Association has operated the community center as a recreation center and meeting place for community meetings and activities. James M. Goins was the group’s first president. The…

In the early 1900s, the Little Bethel Church was started as a mission church by the members of Little Zion Baptist Church on Burke Lake Road. The church was built on land donated by David R. Pinn.
A cemetery is located on the south side of the David…

Aristocrat William Fitzhugh was granted 21,996 acres in 1694: The Ravensworth tract, which was divided into northern and southern halves in 1701 and subsequently subdivided among Fitzhugh heirs throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. The cemetery…

In 1935 at least two juries were established in Fairfax County with African American members. This was significant because Blacks were usually excluded from serving on juries in Virginia. Press reports indicated that these were the first African…

Robert Frye moved to Fairfax in 1967. Three times a member of the Fairfax County School Board-- both appointed and elected--Bob Frye worked for equal opportunity in the county as the area emerged from the era of segregation. He was the first minority…

African American Dennis Howard describes his family who lived in Merrifield, Tremont, Falls Church and Ilda. He describes how his great grandfather Horace Gibson, who purchased his freedom from slavery, and with another former enslaved person Moses…

African American community which was established after the Civil War

Pearson school.jpg
The Pearson School was the first school for African American children built in Burke around 1874. A second replacement school was built in 1898 on Burke Lake Road. By 1927, the school had 32 students, grades 1-6. From 1929 until 1946, the school had…

Little zion.jpg
In 1891, the white frame Little Zion Baptist Church was built for $25 by formerly enslaved people.

John “Jack” Pearson donated land to build a church. The congregation members, who were known as Old School Baptist Group of Black and Whites, chose…

The history of the cemetery goes back to 1873 when Jeremiah Mannie Jackson (1816 – 1912) purchased 184 acres from Ansel and Mary Wheedon of Vermont in the Sideburn/Burke area. Jeremiah and his wife Martha farmed the land and had eleven children.…

In the late 1600s the 22,000-acre Ravensworth Tract, located in what would become Fairfax County, was part of a large land grant in Northern Virginia. By 1782, 203 people were enslaved at Ravensworth. Through six generations, the enslaved people…

Ilda, a community located at the intersection of Guinea Road and Little River Turnpike, came into existence after the Civil War and lasted into the first half of the twentieth century. It originated when two freedmen, Horace Gibson, and Moses Parker,…

The Black community of Ilda grew along Little River Turnpike where Horace Gibson and Moses Parker operated a blacksmith shop at Prosperity Avenue. It is believed that Ilda was named for Matilda Gibson Parker, daughter of Horace Gibson and…

The African Americans of Co. No. 2399 camp No. Army 3 [C], who were stationed at Fort Belvoir, built a fire trail through what is today’s Lake Accotink Park. The trail crossed the then Outlying Reservation of Fort Belvoir. Senator Bristow, who lived…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2