Browse Items (209 total)

cartersville baptist from Facebook page.jpg
An African American congregation has worshipped here continuously since the Civil War. Although the current building is not the original building, it is on the same site and still in use as a Baptist Church. Cartersville Baptist Church is the oldest…

ffirst Baptist Church of Vienna (2).jpg
First Baptist Church of Vienna (FBCV), founded in 1867, is the first and oldest church in Vienna, Virginia, founded by several African Americans working on a Vienna farm owned by Major O.E. Hine.
Seeing their desire to hold religious services, in…

In 1869 Andrew Lee, an African American, purchased 20 acres of land in the Frying Pan area from Ann Keeler. In 1891 he transferred 3/4 of an acre of the land to his son, Edward Lee. Edward built this house on his parcel of land. His father's house…

In 1901, the First Baptist Church of Vienna, Virginia petitioned to move its location from Lawyers Road; and build a new edifice in another part of the city (Vienna). A committee, composed of Deacon Andrew W. Minor, Brother James Harper, Brother…

Established by the Grand United Order of the Sons and Daughters of Liberty, Lodge No. 9, in 1892, this community cemetery has over one hundred burials, many of them unmarked, and is in current use. The cemetery was surveyed in 1976 and 1988.
When…

This cemetery is located on the west side of the 500 block of Lewis Street, off Lawyers Road, in Vienna. According to an article in the 26 May 1988 Vienna Times by Carol Bonham, this cemetery is on land once owned by Capt. Harmon L. Salsbury where he…

V030514-705_t180.jpg

Tags:

Franconia Museum is a 501(c)3 non-profit dedicated to preserving history of a community that in the 1800s was a thriving farming area southwest of the City of Alexandria.
The museum has a large collection of artifacts, exhibits, books, and videos,…

Tags: ,

Laurel Grove 2.JPG
Laurel Grove School was built by freed men and women in the 1880s to educate their children. Today the one room school is a museum sharing the history of African American families who built the school, furnished it, provided books, and hired the…

The church was organized in 1863 in people’s homes under the leadership of the former enslaved Reverend Samuel K. Taylor. In 1865, the first church building was erected and named Bethlehem. The original structure, built of lumber donated from a…

The land was transferred from Stacey and Elizabeth Snowden to the Trustees of Bethlehem Baptist Church in the early 1900s. The cemetery includes formal markers, fieldstones, concrete and wooden markers, and funeral home markers.

This is a historically African American Cemetery. The land for this cemetery was purchased by the Churches and Fraternities Association of Alexandria on Oct. 27, 1944. It appears that many of the older graves were relocated from an Odd Fellows…

School-Drew-Smith Elementary 1958.jpg
Drew-Smith School, a segregated facility opened in the 1952-53 School year. It was named for Charles Drew, a researcher in the field of blood transfusions and Annie Smith, the first African American teacher at the Gum Springs Colored School. It was…

ft. belvoir school.jpg
In 1940 the Army acquired the historic African American Community of Woodlawn. This land was located close to present day Ft Belvoir Elementary School. Woodlawn was a thriving African American Community of single-family homes, a church, school, and…

Circa 1865, a free public colored school was opened at Bethehem Baptist Church. The building materials were supplied by the Freedman’s Bureau. Quakers Helen Harley, D.E. Smith, and Josephine Baker (of Wellington aka River Farm) served as teachers. In…

The Gunston Colored School was located at the entrance to the Gunston Hall property, across the street from the Gunston White School, which later became Shiloh Baptist Church. The one acre of land for the school was sold to Fairfax County by Edward…

The church was formed in 1953 in the rural Spring Bank area as a mission of Mount Olive Baptist Church and Antioch Baptist Church. Land was purchased in 1954 and the buildings were completed by 1956. Reverend William Burruss led the church for the…

This cemetery is the final resting place of both Black and White residents of Gum Springs. The Peake family owned the property from 1762-1805. The Peake family held 3 enslaved people and the area is believed to have been an enslaved cemetery. West…

The church was founded in 1846 as Annandale’s Methodist Episcopal Church on farmland deeded by William Garges. The church was destroyed during the Civil War and rebuilt in 1870. The small white frame church was built by Thomas Walker and included a…

2 Volume Set of 29 Transcribed interviews performed July 1984- January 1994 with Lewis Lear Quander, Gladys Quander Tancil, Roberta H. Quander and others.

“Snake Hill to Spring Bank” was an oral history project conducted by students at Groveton High School in the mid-1970s. The interviews were transcribed.
All three volumes of the book are also available online.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2